One of the UK's most respected journalists and broadcasters, Jeremy Paxman is known for his fearless and sometimes blunt interviewing styleA long term presenter of BBC 'Newsnight' and the no-nonsense host of 'University Challenge', Jeremy Paxman has become known throughout the UK and the wider world for his honest and direct approach to providing the viewing public with timely and accurate information. Often considered one of the last of a diminishing sort of journalist with true integrity, Paxman's years of experience and insight in political and current affairs mean that he is a sought after speaker. 'Newsnight' presenter
- 'University Challenge' question master
- Topics covered include MC, Conference facilitating and Interviewing
- Similar Speakers
One of the most respected broadcasters, interviewers and authors of our time, Jeremy Paxman is perhaps best known for his role as a presenter of BBC 2s Newsnight and as the rather blunt quiz master of University Challenge. With Paxmans knowledge of current and recent current affairs, his wit and his exceptional presenting skill, it is little wonder that he is now also a sought after speaker, moderator and interviewer.
After spending his early career working for a local radio station, Jeremy Paxman began working for the BBC in 1974, covering the troubles whilst based in Belfast. During the three years he worked as a current affairs reporter he became increasingly well-known and well respected. When he moved to London in 1977 he began working on influential programmes including Tonight and on documentaries such as The Bear Next Door, which explored the relationship between the Soviet Union and neighbouring countries.
Paxman began working on Panorama in 1979, travelling the world in order to obtain the most relevant footage and information. Some of the award winning documentaries he presented during the 1980s remain pertinent to this day and Paxman truly set a new benchmark for broadcasting skill as he moved on to present the Six Oclock News, London Plus and Breakfast News for the BBC, before joining the Newsnight team in 1989. Whilst working on Newsnight, Paxman has also contributed to numerous other television and radio shows and has written a number of successful books. He is known to students and quiz fans throughout the world as the rather curt question-master of University Challenge, a role which he has occupied since 1994 when the programme was revived after a seven year break.
Born in Leeds, Jeremy Paxman was brought up in Yorkshire and Worcestershire and attended Malvern College before studying English at Cambridge Universitys St. Catharine's College. Whilst at Cambridge, he was an editor of the undergraduate magazine Varsity and was involved in the Labour Club for a short time.
Positions and Honours
- TV journalism presenter of the year award - Royal Television Society (2007)
- Honorary doctorate - Open University (2006)
- Nominated - BAFTA Richard Dimbleby Award (2002)
- TV journalism presenter of the year award - Royal Television Society (2002)
- Nominated - BAFTA Richard Dimbleby Award (2001)
- BAFTA Richard Dimbleby Award (2000)
- Honorary doctorate - University of Leeds (1999)
- Honorary degree - University of Bradford (1999)
- Interviewer of the Year Award Royal Television Society (1998)
- Award for best "non-acting" performer - Broadcasting Press Guild (1998)
- BAFTA Richard Dimbleby Award (1996)
- Elected fellow St. Edmund Hall, Oxford
- Honorary Fellow - St. Catharine's College, Cambridge
- Conference facilitating
- Higher Form of Killing (with Robert Harris) (1982)
- Through the Volcanoes: A Central American Journey (1985)
- Friends in High Places: Who Runs Britain? (1991)
- The English: A Portrait of a People (1999)
- The Political Animal: An Anatomy (2003)
- On Royalty (2006)
- The Victorians: Britain through the Paintings of the Age (with Neil Hegarty) (2009)
- Empire: What Ruling the World Did to the British (2011)
- Great Britain's Great War (2013)
Lawyer and businesswoman, Nancy Dell'Olio...
Author and speaker Dr Frank-Jurgen...
Fantastic awards host and presenter,...