Sandi Toksvig Biography
One of Britain’s best-known comediennes.
Current / Past Roles & Positions
- Radio and TV presenter
Awards, Accolades, Achievements & Honours
- Roberts Radio Special Award – Voice of the Listener & Viewer Awards for Excellence in Broadcasting (2013)
- Chancellor – University of Portsmouth (2012 – )
- Honorary Fellowship – Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge University (2012)
- Honorary Doctor of Letters – University of Surrey (2012)
- Honorary Doctor of Letters – York St John University (2012)
- Honorary Doctor of Letters – University of Portsmouth (2010)
- Voice of the Viewer and Listener Award for Individual Contribution to Radio (2009)
- Broadcaster of the Year – Stonewall Awards (2008)
- Listening Books Award for the Spoken Word (2008)
- Channel 4 Political Awards – Political Humorist of the Year (2007)
- Radio Broadcaster of the Year – Broadcasting Press Guild (2007)
- Read it or Else Award – Coventry Inspiration Book Awards (for Hitler’s Canary) (2007)
- Show Business Personality of the Year – The Grand Order of Water Rats (1997)
- Theresa Montefiore Memorial Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement (whilst at Cambridge University)
- Raemaekers Prize for Archaeology (whilst at Cambridge University)
Using her exceptional sense of humour to gain the attention of her audience, Sandi Toksvig can prove to be a rare voice of reason in a confusing modern world. Her understanding of people as individuals and as a group means that she can easily provide the motivation and insight needed for personal and business development.
Having showcased her comedic talents as a member of the first all-female show at Cambridge Universitys legendary Footlights Dramatic Club, Sandi Toksvig is now one of Britains best known comediennes, performing to packed venues across the country. Her work in television has included regular appearances on Have I Got News For You, Mock the Week, Whose Line Is It Anyway and QI and on the radio she is the chair of Radio 4s The News Quiz, previously presented the stations Excess Baggage travel show and has appeared on I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue.
Also an accomplished author, Sandi has written numerous popular books for both children and adults. Her screenwriting abilities have translated well into playwriting, with Bully Boy, her work concerning the impact of war on servicemen, having been launched to critical acclaim.
Sandi Toksvig was born in Copenhagen. A talented student, she graduated with a first class degree from Girton College, Cambridge University where she studied law, archaeology, and anthropology. After her success at the Footlights Club, she went on to become a member of The Comedy Store Players.
CONNECT WITH SANDI
FEE GUIDELINES info
Testimonials for Sandi Toksvig
Testimonial for Valentine Grey: “Toksvig’s warm characterisation drives the narrative, especially when set against her droll yet richly details evocation of an unedifying period of modern history.It’s a novel not just about the Boer War, but about a more subtle war against people who used to think it acceptableto treat women and blacks and gays abysmally. Fighting on both fronts is Toksvig’s shining creation, Valentine Grey, a courageous and captivating character just begging for a sequel.”Lucy Beresford
Testimonial for Valentine Grey: “Toksvig’s seemingly effortless ability to entertain shines through Lucy Scholes.“