Charlie Dimmock Biography
Charlie is one of Britain’s best known and best-loved gardeners, who has presented many of UK TV’s popular gardening programmes.
Charlie is one of Britain’s best known and best loved gardeners, specialising in water features. Charlie first came to the nation’s attention on BBC1’s incredibly successful Ground Force. She was discovered by the producer/director of Ground Force who had met her 5 years previously when she built a pond for the Meridian television series Grass Roots. Ground Force ran for 8 years and they made 12 series in that time. In 2001 Charlie’s appeal spread to America where BBC America made two series. Since 2001 Charlie has had a regular gardening strand The Early Show filmed in New York for CBS.
In 2010 Charlie starred as Celia in Calendar Girls touring England from May – July and she so enjoyed her time on the stage that she went on to play the role of Fairy Godmother in the panto at Theatre Royal Windsor and has since gone on to appear in pantos all around the country every year.
Charlie is currently in her third year of filming a series, Garden Rescue, for BBC.
2016 we will see Charlie appear back on our screens on the BBC presenting, Garden Rescue.
In addition to having been a co-presenter on the ever popular Ground Force Charlie has also done the following:-
- River Walks, Meridian (2005/06/07) – Presenter, Runner up RTS Awards
- Chelsea Flower Show, BBC (1999- 2006) – Co-presenter
- The Games, Channel 4 (2004) – Participant
- Garden Invaders BBC1 (2003/2004) – Presenter
- Garden for All Seasons UK Style (2003) – Presenter
- Star Portraits with Rolf Harris BBC1 (2003) – Portrait Sitter
- Cheer for Charlie BBC1 (2002) – A one hour special where Charlie joined the South of England British Latin American Formation Team to compete in the Imperial Championships.
- Charlie and the Duchess BBC1 (2001/2002) – One hour special featuring the construction of the biggest modern garden commission this century.
- Charlie’s Gardening Neighbours (BBC2) – Presenter
- Cheer for Charlie BBC1 (2001) – A one hour special where Charlie joins the circus to become a trapeze artist.
- Girls on Top BBC1 (2001) – Co-presenter on this daytime show, Charlie visited work places across Britain learning the tricks of the trade in a variety of jobs.
- Charlie’s Wildlife Gardens BBC2 (2000) – A series doing just what it says – exploring wildlife in the garden!
- Charlie’s Garden Army BBC2 (1999-2000) – A gardening make-over series with a difference: Charlie designed projects across the UK that gave communities a chance to participate in a gardening project that would benefit locals.
Charlie regularly hosts numerous events from garden centre openings to award ceremonies.
Publications include her own book Enjoy Your Garden, publisher, and BBC books Ground Force Container Gardens and Ground Force Water Garden Workbook.
Charity works have included running the 2002 London Flora Marathon in conjunction with the British Heart Foundation. Climbing Kilimanjaro at the end of 2002 in aid of The Guerba / Village Education Project (Helping build a computer education centre at the base of Kilimanjaro for the locals.) She is patron of Dreamflights and regularly works with various other charities. She also undertakes many local charity engagements in the Hampshire area.
Charlie was the face of Poundland gardening range which launched in 2016.
Charlie trained for 4 years as an amenity horticulturalist in Winchester and Somerset (BTEC Diploma in Amenity Horticulture – distinction & National Technical Certificate in Turfculture and Sporting Management – distinction) and spent a year of her training at the Chelsea Physic Garden.