David Blunkett's videos
David Blunkett's 2022 biography
David Blunkett’s Background
- Experienced politician, having spent over 25 years in politics
- Extremely focused on the issue of cyber security, and serves as Chairman of the not-for-profit International Cyber Security Protection Alliance (ICSPA)
- Blind since childhood, he has always been determined to succeed and has never let his disability hold him back
- Successful author, with numerous publications to his name, including The Blunkett Tapes (2006)
- Announced in June 2014 he would be standing down as an MP at the next general election in 2015
As Home Secretary at the time of 9/11, David Blunkett has served through some of the most testing of times. The turbulence was not confined to his political life; few senior politicians have experienced quite so many ups and downs, and none have achieved high office having been blind since birth.
After leading Sheffield City Council, David entered Parliament and held shadow portfolios in health, education and employment. Then as Labour Party Chair he became a key player in the development of New Labour – distancing himself once and for all from the ‘loony left.’
When Tony Blair came to power David was appointed Secretary of State for Education and Employment – where he launched the Learning & Skills Councils, created Job Centre Plus, oversaw the Equal Opportunities Commission, and established the Disability Rights Commission. Later as Home Secretary he took responsibility for security, immigration and policing. He also attracted controversy by introducing a raft of measures to combat the threat of terrorism.
Since leaving the front bench David has continued to inform policy-making on social mobility, affordable credit and cyber security. He also devotes energy to his Future For Work Foundation, whose aim is to provide volunteering and work experience.
As well as giving an insider’s view on the political landscape, David talks with authority on managing change, social responsibility and the benefits of diversity. His own story is one of overcoming considerable adversity. He is also an entertaining and surprisingly revealing after dinner speaker, with a fund of anecdotes about Labour’s years in power.
David Blunkett's 2022 speaking fees
Specific fees fall within the ranges shown. These are presented as a guide only and are subject to change without notice.
To get an exact quote for your event, click the button below.