To receive the downloadable spreadsheet of the podcast list, please provide us with your name and email address below. We'll send you the list via email shortly after you submit your information.
Alvaro Vargas Llosa
Expert on world and political matters, prolific author and speaker
Senior Fellow of The Center on Global Prosperity at the Independent Institute, who has been a nationally syndicated columnist for the Washington Post Writers Group.
Alvaro Vargas Llosa's videos
Alvaro Vargas Llosa's 2023 biography
Mr. Vargas Llosa is a native of Peru and received his B.Sc. in International History from the London School of Economics and obtained an M. A. in Value Investing and Theory of the Cycle from OMMA. He has been a member of Board of the Miami Herald Publishing Company and op-ed page editor and columnist at the Miami Herald, and a contributor to the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the BBC World Service, Time Magazine, Granta magazine, El País, The International Herald Tribune, and other media outlets.
In addition, Mr. Vargas Llosa has been a commentator at Univision TV, news director at RCN radio, London Correspondent for Spain’s ABC daily newspaper, commentator at Radio Nacional de España in Madrid, host of the weekly TV program “Planeta 3” that aired in twelve Latin American countries for five years, and columnist at La Nación (Argentina), El Nacional(Venezuela), Reforma (Mexico), El Tiempo (Colombia), El País (Uruguay), El Listín Diario (Dominican Republic).
Vargas Llosa was the press spokesman for the presidential campaign of the Democratic Front in 1990 in his native Peru and an Advisor on International Relations for the presidential campaign of Perú Posible in 2001.
He has lectured widely on world economic and political issues. Among other venues, he has spoken at The World Economic Forum, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Council on Foreign Affairs (U.S.), World Affairs Council (U.S.), Inter-American Dialogue (U.S.), Florida International University (U.S.), University of New York (U.S.), Cato Institute (U.S.), Atlas Economic Research Foundation (U.S.), Mount Pelerin Society (Chile), Naumann Foundation (Germany), FAES Foundation (Spain), Brazilian Institute of Business Studies, Fundación Libertad (Argentina), the CEDICE Foundation (Venezuela), Ecuatorian Chamber of Commerce (Ecuador), and University of San Marcos (Peru).
Alvaro Vargas Llosa’s awards, accolades, achievements and honours
- Received the Sir Antony Fisher International Memorial Award for its contribution to the cause of freedom in 2006
- Awarded the Templeton Freedom Award (2010) for his book “Lessons from the Poor: Triumph of the Entrepreneurial Spirit”
- Appointed Young Global Leader 2007 by the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland
- Received his B.Sc. in International History and an M. A. from the London School of Economics
- Recipient of the Juan Bautista Alberdi Award (2006) for his defense of freedom across the western hemisphere
- The A.I.R. Award for Best Current Affairs Radio Show in Florida (1998)
- Puerto Rican Parliament’s Award for the Defense of Freedom (1997)
- Peruvian Association of Fishermen’s Award for the Defense of Freedom (2000)
- Freedom of Expression Award given by the Association of Ibero-American Journalists (2003).
Alvaro Vargas Llosa's 2023 speaking fees
- United States
Specific fees fall within the ranges shown. These are presented as a guide only and are subject to change without notice.
To get an exact quote for your event, click the button below.