To receive the downloadable spreadsheet of the podcast list, please provide us with your name and email address below. We'll send you the list via email shortly after you submit your information.
Former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England, Chairman of the Financial Services Authority
Sir Howard Davies is a leading economist with a deep understanding of financial markets in Europe and the effects of globalization.
Howard Davies's videos
Howard Davies's 2023 biography
- Chairman of the UK Airports Commission
- Former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England
- Chairman of the Phoenix Group
- Non-executive Director of Morgan Stanley
- Appointed Knight Bachelor in 2000
- Professor of practice, Institut d’Etudes Politiques (Paris)
- Former Director General of the Confederation of British Industry
Howard Davies’ Background
Confidence, experience and knowledge make Sir Howard Davies an unmissable speaker for those with a background, future, or general interest in economics.
Sir Howard Davies is one of the most influential economists of our time and has occupied some of the most responsible roles in his field. Sir Howard Davies is currently a Professor of practice at the prestigious Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Paris (Sciences Po), where he teaches courses in the regulation of financial markets and in central banking in the Paris School of International Affairs.
He is Chairman of the Phoenix Group of Life Insurance Companies, and Chair of the UK airport commission which make recommendations to the British government on airport capacity, environmental impact, economic and social cost as well as considering operational, commercial and technical viability. Sir Howard was Director of the London School of Economics from 2003 to 2011. He was executive chairman of the Financial Services Authority (FSA) from 1997 to 2003 and Deputy Governor of the Bank of England from 1995 to 1997.
Howard John Davies was born on February 12th 1951. He was academically capable and attended Manchester Grammar School before travelling to Newfoundland, where he attended the Memorial University. Following this, he continued his education, achieving an M.A. in modern languages and modern history at Oxford Universitys Merton College. His ability did not go unnoticed and he was then able to attend Stanford Graduate School of Business on a Harkness Fellowship, where he gained his M.S. in management sciences.
- Special Advisor to Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Lawson (1985 – 1986)
- Controller of the Audit Commission (1987 – 1992)
- Director General of the Confederation of British Industry
- Non-executive director of GKN (1989 – 95)
- Member, International Advisory Board of NatWest Bank (1991-1995)
- Deputy Governor of the Bank of England (1995 – 1997)
- Founder-Chairman of Employers Forum on Age (1995 – 2004)
- Executive chairman of the Financial Services Authority (FSA) (1997 – 2003)
- Trustee of the Tate Gallery (2002 – 2010)
- Director of the London School of Economics (2003-2011)
- Non-executive Director of Paternoster Ltd. (2006 – 2010)
- Interim Chair of the Tate Gallery (2008 2009)
Davies has been immortalised as a character in the play The Power of Yes by David Hare.
In 2004, Davies became an Honorary Fellow of Merton College, Oxford and became a non-executive Director of Morgan Stanley. He is on the advisory boards of the Government Investment Corporation of Singapore, of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, of the China Securities Regulatory Commission and of the Royal National Theatre. He became a non-executive director of Prudential Plc in 2010 and of Jackson National Life Insurance Company in 2011. Davies is a member of the Royal Academy of Musics governing body. Currently he is a professor at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Paris.
Davies is married and has two sons.
Howard Davies's 2023 talks & topics
The Changing Face of Financial Regulation
Creating a Single Financial Market in Europe
Globalization and Financial Reform
Howard Davies's 2023 speaking fees
- United Kingdom
Specific fees fall within the ranges shown. These are presented as a guide only and are subject to change without notice.
To get an exact quote for your event, click the button below.