Futurist speaker, developer and commentator on Google’s self-driving cars, founder of ClariNet and Director & Chairman of EFF. Professor of Networks and Computing at Singularity University
Brad Templeton is the consultant and software architect on Google’s self-driving cars.
Brad Templeton's videos
Brad Templeton's 2022 biography
Brad Templeton’s Background
He is also the founder of ClariNet Communications Corp. which became the world’s first electronic newspaper internet-based business in the 1990s. Since 1979, Brad has been active in the computer network community and was instrumental in building the growth of USENET since it’s start-up days. In 1987 Brad founded and edited a unique USENET conference that was dedicated to comedy.
He is the chair and Professor of Networks and Computing at Singularity University, which is a multi-disciplanary school that teaches it’s students about how rapidly changing technologies will impact the future of our world.
Brad is also on the board of directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and longstanding cyberspace blogger. He is a director of the futurist Foresight Nanotech Insitute which is a think tank and public interest organisation focused on transformative future technologies.
He is currently a software design advisor to BitTorrent Inc and was also a former board member. Brad also provides advice to startup businesses including NewAer, Quanergy and RePost.
Brad Templeton's 2022 talks & topics
They're coming for your computer', efforts to control how computers work from outside the computer industry
The future of self-driving cars
The Internet's secret sauce
The lessons the computer industry can teach the world about living with change
Hot Robocar issues: Everything you know is wrong
Intro to Exponentials
Lessons from VoIP, instant messaging and presence
Living the history of the internet, USENET and more
Copyright and the creative economy
The dark side of Web 2.0/cloud computing, social networks, data portability and single sign-on
The Future of Computing
- Lessons from the Internet on an exponential revolution: What the internet and software teach about how to run a company in the 21st century.
- The coming abundance of bandwidth (including Google “Loon”)
- New user interfaces including augmented and virtual reality
- The Internet of Things (optional demo of Bluetooth tags.) Note this is a somewhat skeptical presentation which points out that the IoT is still a marketing concept rather than well understood changer of how people live, but it covers what’s really happening.
- Quick Moore’s Law introduction
- Quick bitcoin introduction (10 minutes)
- Models of future network dominance
Robocars: Computers driving cars and changing the world
Everything your business needs to know it can learn from the computer industry
- Moore’s law: How it works, why it happened, where it’s going
- The secret ingredients that let the internet beat all the other networks
- How software is eating the world and why this forces every company to become a software company or die
- The story of open systems and how they beat proprietary
- Disruptive, deceptive technology and how it crushes entire industries
- The advantages founder-led companies gain over board-led ones
- What to do when the computer becomes the most important part of your product
- How to get (portions of) big companies to act more like small companies and stay alive
Computers, Privacy and the NSA
The ethics of Copyable People
Internet Governance and domain names
Privacy in the future, the NSA and the Snowden disclosures
Introduction to exponential thinking and singularity ideas
How to change your mindset for the new pace of technology.
Singularity topics: Nanotechnology, AI, Patternism (copyable people and AIs) or “Would you let Mr. Scott beam you up in the Transporter?”
- What’s new from all the major players in the space
- Sensors (vision, radar, lidar, maps) and the different approaches
- Accidents and insurance
- Networking, security and communications
- Approaches: Neural networks and traditional algorithms
- The hard challenges and testing
- Governments and policy
- Delivery robots and the future of retail
- Electric robocars and vehicle design in the future
- The future of public transit, the future of mobility and the future of cities
The Future of Creativity and Copyright
New ways to organise computer operating systems to improve ease of use
Brad Templeton's 2022 speaking fees
- United States
Specific fees fall within the ranges shown. These are presented as a guide only and are subject to change without notice.
To get an exact quote for your event, click the button below.